
The term "blogger" just doesn't seem to fit who I am. I've always thought of bloggers as those strange people on the fringes of societal normalcy, posing conspiracy theories or spewing out their infection of negativity, always hoping society will discover their rantings and revere them as genius. Recently, however, I learned that my sister Brenda is a "blogger." Reading her blog has helped me to see a much different side of blogging. Her description of her family is positive, humorous, and often spiritual. Not only is she recording her family history, but she is also helping me, and others get to know her and her family better, no matter our location. Another recent experience led me to the world of blogging. General Conference for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints was held last week in Salt Lake City, Utah. President James E. Faust's recent death vacated a position in the first presidency and the call was given to Henry B. Eyring of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. On Sunday morning he plead with us to record our experiences, if for no other reason than for our children to look back and see God's hand in directing our family. I knew I needed to begin this task and have felt so for many years. So, with this intent, to record experiences, and to recognize the Lord's hand in helping my family, I have decided to take on the title of "blogger." While these entries are specifically written for my children and family, I choose to direct my wording generally to all of those I love.
Family
My family began on August 4th, 2001 when I was sealed to Amy Kay Olson, in the Mount Timpanogos LDS Temple. We met in an art class at Ricks College, in Rexburg, Idaho. After our marriage we returned to eastern Idaho and stayed in Amy's grandparents home (Ken and Virginia Rassmussen) while they served a mission in Oakland, California.
December of 2004 I graduated from Brigham Young University - Idaho (formerly Ricks College), with a Bachelor's degree in Communications and a minor in Sociology. From there we moved to Boise and I began a Master's Program in Public Administration, hoping I could also find employment in the largest Idaho city. Through a connection at church, I was given a temporary position in the International Business Division of Idaho Commerce and Labor. About six months later, I competed for and landed a full time position in the division. We moved into our first home in the fall of 2005 in Nampa, Idaho and I have continued to commute to Boise ever since. Lily Mae Ashby, our third daughter, was born February 21, 2006.
In 2006 I also transferred to the Community Development Division of the department in order to coorelate with planning and general local government courses in my master's program. We have recently learned that we will be having our fourth child... a boy, in February of 2008. Much has happened these six plus years of our marriage, and while it has not been easy and sometimes very difficult, I have seen the Lord guiding my family and helping me along a path that I am certain will lead to what is right for my family. I hope to be able to catch some of the experiences that show this direction in these entries. For now, I will leave this as my introduction.
2 comments:
I am so glad that you are blogging! Your post was so sweet and I even cried a little reading it (so, I am a little emotional at the moment). (:
I am going to put your link on my blogging page if that's okay. Love you tons!
Rodney, I loved your introduction. I haven't read the other entries yet, but you and Brenda are both very good writers! You have inspired me to join, or at least sign up for a Google Account so that I can be in your loop. I will enjoy yours right along with Brenda's. Maybe we can get them all to do this. Don't forget to read the Jewkes Family Blog too and add your site to theirs. Love you, Mom
Post a Comment