Rod Ashby Family

.

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Ammon and Liz Visit

This past weekend was so much fun. We had my brother Ammon and his wife Liz up on Friday afternoon. We had a great time with them. Every time we've had them up and they have to leave, Amy and I talk about how fun it is to have family come and visit us. Although we're not that far from most of the family (within 7 hours), sometimes it feels like we're just far enough away for people not to come visit. We love to have company and we wish we could have them come see us more often!
Well, we had lots of things to do while they were up. We went to the trunk-or-treat on Friday night and had dinner with our ward. When we got home it was late, but then we stayed up even later talking (or at least Ammon and I did, since both Liz and Amy are incapable of staying awake past 9:00p.m.). Saturday Baily had a practice for the primary program which was scheduled for Sunday. Amy, bless her soul, spent all morning making a picnic for when the Bevans arrived. When Angie and her family arrived, we went to the park, had a picnic, played frisbee golf, played on the playground, and Nathan and Ammon wrestled until Nathan was missing his socks, shoes, and shirt. I think he was using them to throw at Ammon. We all had a blast and it was good to just relax and enjoy being together (as well as have barbecued chicken hoagies made with homemade bread, yum).
Next, we went to the MK Nature Center in Boise. This is kind of a museum about animals, but also has several hands-on things for kids to do and watch. Outside, they have a path that winds around a stream and over a pond. The area is a habitat for all kinds of birds and small animals, including a beaver. There are signs throughout the walk that describe certain important parts of the habitat and the path even drops alongside the stream where you can look through glass walls to see several kinds of fish. Signs describe the life cycle of the fish and then you get to experience it right in front of you. The path crosses the pond on a low wooden bridge, passes several small waterfalls, and winds through flower and vegetable gardens. It really is beautiful.
Finally, we went out to Emmett and had Gary's famous homemade pizza, played games, and talked until it was late. As we were leaving, Jacob threw up in his room and we had no idea what was ahead of us.
Now that I look back on the weekend, I notice how nice it was to not watch television or a movie, but instead we interacted with eachother and communicated our feelings. I often am reminded about the ability of entertainment to lead to anti-social behavior and cause people to miss out on creating important relationships. The best kind of entertainment, and the kind we need, is that which causes us to interact with others and become better people. Okay enough phylosophy.
Sunday Baily gave a presentation in the primary program and even sang this time. I think she's finally learning to be a little more confident. We've tried really hard to not label her shy. A while ago I think I called her shy and since that time she told others, "I'm shy." I've had to correct her and tell her she isn't and I think she's starting to believe it. I sure do say some dumb things sometimes as a father. Too bad Baily has to be my learning curve.
Well, Ammon and Liz had to leave Sunday afternoon and we're already planning for our trip down to Utah for Thanksgiving.
Now for the sickness! Angie called me Sunday and asked if any of us were sick. I replied that we weren't and she said that she had been throwing up all morning. I thought maybe for once, it would pass over my family, but the next day Bethy and Lily both were throwing up. This morning I got a call from Ammon and he'd been up all night leaning over the toilet too. Blughhhhh! I hate being sick. Since I haven't been home while everyone else is awake, so far I've missed the bug, but I never can be sure. I seem to get everything.
Here are a couple of not very well taken pictures of the picnic. It was Abbie's birthday.

1 comment:

Brenda said...

Sounds like a fun weekend! I like your thoughts about entertainment and relationships. I think you are right. We waste so much time on the things that aren't important.

Hope you guys are feeling better soon! I guess that's a benefit to not being so close, we don't share the germs (: