Rod Ashby Family

.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Christmas, New Years, and Back to Normal

Well, Christmas and New Years have come and gone. Although we were having a much smaller Christmas this year, Amy and I were still really looking forward to it. We had the traditional foods ready, planned to go caroling on Christmas Eve to our neighbors, and planned to go out to the Bevan’s Christmas afternoon. Well, everything didn’t go according to plan. The girls really struggled to be happy and to obey on Christmas Eve and I began wondering whether they were feeling well. We read the Christmas story, skipped caroling, and sent the kids to bed. Amy and I worked on wrapping presents and stuffing stockings and got to bed late that evening. A few hours later the crying began (Grant first, and then the girls). A few hours later, Baily was throwing up. Our Christmas breakfast didn’t work out like we hoped. We tried doing our own turnovers with pie filling and crescent roll dough and it wasn’t the same. By late morning, the girls were feeling well enough to open presents. It was fun to watch their excitement despite the downturn of events. We were most disappointed that we had to cancel our trip to Angie and Gary’s. Over the next week, everyone but me went through the throwing up – although I came very close several nights in a row. It was especially difficult to watch Lily dry heave over and over again, wishing I could help her. It’s a good thing kids bounce back to their normal happy selves when the sickness leaves.



Baily got a jump rope this year and is still working on figuring out how to jump and swing the rope at the right time. I’m sure she’ll get it soon! She also got a watch, which she was excited about. A woman I work with gave us a tutu making kit (including crown and wings) and Bethy danced around like a fairy for several days with everything on. She is so full of passion and is our little drama queen. It’s fun to just be around her. Lily got doll clothes that Amy spent so much time making. They were really cute and I think Lily will enjoy them for several years. Grant got a little wood train and has really enjoyed it. Grandma sent books and a really fun game that the kids love to play. Dawn made a “quillo” for us and Aaron and Sarah sent a game. We really missed our family this year, but overall we were really blessed and enjoyed our time together. I got new shoes from Amy and I gave her some clothes (which she picked out). In between days when we thought we weren’t sick, we went up to see the Bevans. Gary, Nate, and Bryan all got guns for Christmas and we went out above the cycle park and shot clay pigeons and targets. I really had a good time with them and was so glad to get a chance to get away from the city. That night, Nate stayed at the house after we put the kids to bed and Amy, Angie, Gary, and I went to Emmett’s local pool hall and played pool. We ordered lots of onion rings and just had a blast until Nate called and said Lily was throwing up. Once again, despite the sickness, we loved being with the Bevans. I sure am thankful for the relationships I have with my family.










New years, we were still battling sicknesses, but felt well enough to spend the evening with the Dittrichs. They also invited Bishop Ashton and his kids (Addie was down South visiting friends). We enjoyed playing games and talking, but were tired and relieved at 11:00 to go home and go to bed. I know, we aren’t very good partiers when it gets late, but the kids will never know the difference!

Now, life is pretty well back to normal. No one in the family is sick and we are back to our routines of school and work. Sometimes I feel like it’s more relaxing to be at work than to be on vacation. Still, work has really been picking up and I’m enjoying working on a variety of projects right now. Church responsibilities are also keeping me busy. This month we are planning a retreat for all the boys. We are going to the Tripples’ cabin in Cascade and doing a bunch of team building activities. I’m looking forward to it. I really felt like we needed a weekend to be together and get to know each other better. I asked the bishopric to speak on quorum responsibilities and unity and we’ll have a short testimony meeting Friday night. It should be a great experience.

6 comments:

Brenda said...

What a cute family!! I can't believe how big Lily looks! Man, it hasn't been that long has it?
So sorry about your crazy Christmas! We always seem to get some sort of bug around the holidays, but not this year.
We missed you guys!

susie said...

I keep trying to find new news and you and Brenda are about the only ones who seem to 'have a life'.haha Thanks for being a steady light as you face trials and difficulties. Love You Aunt Susan

susie said...

Thanks for being a beacon of light even with your trials and difficulties. I keep looking for new news but only you and Brenda seem to 'have a life'. HaHa Love you Aunt Susan

Rayman said...

Sorry to hear everyone was sick for Christmas. Sounds like it still turned out to be a good time for everyone though. Like the pics!

Dawn Smith said...

I am just amazed at what a good couple of parents you are!! Your kids have so much fun doing projects and playing!!

Dawn

Wendy said...

Amy, You need to know that you are BEAUTIFUL!!! And obviously a great person too. Your kiddies have the cutest little faces! Thanks for posting pictures.

-Wendle (from the old days :))