Rod Ashby Family

.

Monday, December 22, 2008

Finding Faith, Caroling, and Preparing for Christmas

Christmas is almost here and I thought I better capture some of the things that have been going on before the holidays put us into a mad rush. On Saturday, a week and a half ago, Amy went with April to Oregon for their annual girls’ chocolate-making-day. While they were gone, Bethy kept complaining about a stomach ache and repeatedly requested a blessing. At first I thought she was being too dramatic and told her to wait and see if it felt better. But after about an hour of lying in bed, I finally put on my shirt and tie and gave her one. About 10 minutes later, she was playing with her sisters and proclaimed, “I’m not sick any more dad!” My first thought was that she hadn’t really been sick, but then I realized that even if she hadn’t, she had shown her trust and child like faith in God by acting on her feelings. Who am I, really, to say that the sickness was not as real as her faith? Amy and I had been searching for our digital camera ever since we left for Utah several weeks before. I had even gone to the store the previous day to compare prices, but realized we couldn’t afford a new one. I had pretty much given up the hope of being able to take pictures of this year’s Christmas. But, when I saw the complete trust that Elizabeth put in the Lord’s abilities I finally humbled myself, kneeled down and asked for help. Knowing that a digital camera is relatively meaningless in relation to the Lord’s grand purposes, I was humbled to find the Camera only ten minutes later in a place both Amy and I had searched thoroughly on multiple occasions. It was another witness to me of the Lord’s love for me and the need to trust him. I know that God doesn’t solve every problem or lay out every correct decision before me. He expects me to use my brain, search my feelings, and recognize the source of all that is good, so that I can learn to become like him. Often, he lets me make a decision on my own because he either trusts me, or knows that the consequences will teach me far more than providing the solution at the outset. I know that he won’t always help me find every lost item, but it sure is comforting to be reminded every so often of his ability and willingness to help me. Maybe the next time I don’t find what I’m looking for, He will provide me the heart to be grateful for what I do have.

Last week ended up very busy. On Monday evening I had a meeting in Meridian and then rushed back to Nampa’s City Council meeting, which went almost to 10pm. I needed approval of the scope of work for the update to the comprehensive plan so that I could request qualifications from planning firms. There has been a lot of interest in providing consulting services for the plan and I’m really looking forward to getting the update moving. Tuesday, Amy and I hired a babysitter and went to the company Christmas dinner. Unfortunately, there were so many people that to me it felt too impersonal. I would rather have had just our department meet at a restaurant or someone’s home, but maybe we’ll try that next year. Wednesday night I had scouts and Thursday night I had the open house for the University District plan I have been working on all year. I really didn’t get an evening with my family until Friday.

The weekend was full of activities as well. We took all the kids to Kelli Dittrich’s birthday party, met up with Angie afterwards so Baily and Bethy could stay with her for the night, baked a ham, went to the Ward Christmas dinner, and spent the evening preparing my lesson for priest’s quorum. Sunday was filled with morning and afternoon meetings, then we travelled to Boise and had our annual Christmas dinner and caroling with Uncle Dave, Aunt Nola, Carolyn, Ed’s family, and the Bevans. It was nice to be together and made me wish our lives were less busy so that we could get together more often. I think we’ll probably go out to see the Bevans on Thursday after we open presents and have breakfast at our place. We sure do have great relatives and we love them so much! For some reason, being at the Bryans this weekend reminded me of being at my grandparents during Christmas time. I hope they are pleased with the family we have become.

We have been so blessed this year. We have felt the spirit of Christmas a little stronger in our family as we have tried to sacrifice a little for others. I hope my children will always remember Christmas as a time to give and not so much a time to get. I am so grateful for my knowledge of the true meaning of Christmas and that Heavenly Father gave us the greatest gift of all - His Son. Merry Christmas!

4 comments:

Steven and Kimberly said...

Hey Rodney! I don't know if you remember me, Kimberly Mullins (used to be Petersen), but I check out your blog once in awile. I was with Becky Wright a couple of days ago, and we were talking of the fun we used to have. I just wanted to thank you for the spiritual message and wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Dawn Smith said...

Rodney and Amy,

What a darling last entry in your blog!! That's such a cute story about Bethy and the blessing, and you finding faith!! Your family is such an example for us, and I want to teach my kids about the gospel as well as you do it!!

Love you! Dawn

Cami said...

Hey Rod, I'm glad you commented on my blog. (I'm a bit more familiar with blogs also. . .) Your family is so cute! 3 kids hu! It's quite a train ride I say! 3 kids have been an adventure for us also. I'm glad to be back in Utah a bit closer to family now. Oh, and I love that your parents have a blog also. I miss them, they are awesome! Take care

Life is a Blessing said...

Hey Rod, remember me? i came across your blog and wanted to tell you how beautiful your family is and thanks for the wonderful words and testimony you have!!! hope you are doing well!!!
Brandy McDonald Johnson