To say that I am experiencing some life changes is putting it mildly! Yesterday I turned in the last paper I will ever have to submit for my formal University Experience (I hope)! In some ways, life has passed by so quickly, but when I think about all the long hours up late or entire Saturdays spent working on homework, it feels like the end barely arrived in time to keep me from losing my sanity. I have to say, I have mixed emotions about this new change in my life. While I am excited to spend more time with my family, not having the constant worry of what reading or writing I need to do, still I will miss the formal process of education. I have gained so much and been able to challenge my views and get understanding. I enjoy being up to date, in detail, on what is going on in the country and in the world. I will miss the detailed analysis of life that only a formal education can provide, but I also believe this is the beginning of my personal education. I hope to be able to read good books and continue to challenge my own views.
Another change occurred a few days ago when I officially accepted a position as Planner II for the city of Nampa. To my surprise, my new boss will be my stake president, Norm Holm. Certainly the Lord watches out for me and my needs. No longer will I have to spend two hours of my day commuting to and from work. I will be able to come home for lunches and spend more time with my family. This position will challenge me and require me to use the knowledge and skills I have gained through my schooling. While the pay increase will be nice, one of the things I look forward to most, is the ability to associate with and learn from, good people like President Holm. The Lord knew I needed these things and somehow was able to provide them right at the close of my schooling. Recently I have thought a lot about the words found in Matthew 6:28-30 when the Master counsels his disciples going to share the gospel, “28 And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin: 29 And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?” Even though I am not being sent out to foreign lands to spread the gospel, I also know that the Lord watches out for my physical, emotional, and spiritual needs. I am certain that He values my family, and even me, above the grasses of the fields and will continue to provide for our needs, in the timing and conditions that are best for us.
Amy is now less than two months from the due date for our first boy to come into the world – another change in our lives. While we are a little concerned about our living conditions and being able to fit everyone in to our little home, we are also grateful for the home we have. We hear so many others comment about growing out of their homes. Often they have larger homes than ours and less children. Perspective is an interesting thing. Amy and I have recently read several books set in the past. We have noted that families were generally larger, homes were smaller, and families had to get by with less. We have discussed how the wealth of this nation is not only a blessing, but a curse. By having so much, we forget to be grateful. Like the spoiled child, hording toys from other children, our focus turns to protecting the worldly possessions we’ve accumulated, rather than protecting our families from pride. I need to be better at not comparing my condition to others, but rather, I need to count the blessings that really matter, and not those that don’t.
Each night, this past week, I stayed at the school until late to work on homework. I hoped to be able to finish so I could go on a Young Men’s trip over the weekend. Bro. Pancheri’s family owns a cabin in Donnelly and we wanted to take the boys snow-shoeing. For several weeks we have been working on making snow shoes for this trip. I was able to go and We had a wonderful time. I had Shane Dittrich and the presidents of each quorum, speak about quorum unity and then I shared one of my favorite Christmas stories, recounted by Pres. Monson about church members in Malad, Idaho who helped a family in Canada with no money, food, or adequate clothing for Christmas. I spoke briefly about unity, not just for social needs, but for spiritual needs as well. There was a sweet spirit in the cabin and afterwards, Read Young shared a similar story of when his own family was helped for Christmas. I love this season! It seems to calm the world and encourage love.
We are looking forward to Christmas. Brenda and her family, unfortunately can’t come, but the rest of the family will be up for my graduation and Mom, Dad, and Dawn are staying for Christmas. Life is going really well and the Lord is blessing us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Congrats on your new job!! I hope it is everything that you want. Oh, and yay for no more papers!!!
Post a Comment