The stomach flu that each of my kids had, finally caught up to me last week. In the middle of the night on Monday morning, I woke up sick. The entire Labor Day holiday I spent throwing up. It was terrible, but thankfully only lasted about 24 hours. Still, a week later and I continue to feel drained. Grant is now seven months old and still wakes up in the middle of the night. We’ve tried putting the pacifier back in to see if he would go back to sleep, but to no avail. Once he wakes up hungry, he will not settle down until he’s fed. Since Amy has a super-ability to not wake up through the screaming, I end up getting him from his room. So, with the sickness, waking up several times a night to crying, and having things that keep me up too late at night, I am feeling a little worn out. For Grant, I think its time we just let him cry himself back to sleep in the middle of the night. The girls all went through this and learned quickly to just go back to sleep, but never were as awake and as loud as Grant. I’m not looking forward to it, but something needs to happen.
On to another topic – Amy and I signed up this year to volunteer in Baily’s class. Although Amy did it last year fairly regularly, I never had the chance. Now that I have Fridays off, I take one Friday and Amy takes the next. Amy and I have worried about sending Baily to school where she hears negative and degrading talk and where she must interact with disrespectful and even cruel children. Yet, we know this is also part of life. We decided that rather than isolating her, we would be as involved in her schooling as seemed appropriate. So far it’s been a really great experience and I was very impressed with Baily’s teacher Mrs. Noble. She told me that Baily had the second highest score in her grade for a reading assessment test they take at the beginning of each year. I think this will be a really good year for Baily.
This past weekend seemed to go by in a blur. I went home teaching, attended a business opportunity meeting hosted by one of the families I home teach; fixed several flats (including on my bike); went for a family bike ride; played dodgeball (and got appointed to be team captain in a dodgeball league); removed the storm door in the front; removed the damaged molding and replaced with new molding; made many trips to the store for groceries, propane, and other household items; made smores with the Dittrichs late Friday night, had friends over for Sunday dinner; did a lot of cleaning; and a little yard work. In some ways, I’ve created more work for myself. I originally put the storm door on incorrectly and although it worked, it didn’t look very nice and wasn’t air tight. So I still need to figure out the best way to put the door on. Shane offered to help me and I think I’m going to need him. I just never have been very good at fixing household items. Shane just built a room on to his house and then built his own large bookshelf. It looked incredible. I wish I had more of that ability, but I guess the only way to get it is to start trying. At least I’ve begun the learning process.
We decided this week to try and reach out to other people in our ward. We have felt such a strong bond with our friends the Dittrichs. Still, we knew we shouldn’t be exclusive. So, we had Read and Angie Young and Lanson and Amy Baumgartner over for dinner on Sunday. We all just talked while our kids played outside or in their rooms. The kids went a little wild and were all very dirty by the end of the night, but it was well worth it. We felt such a good feeling after everyone had gone home. We feel so blessed to be surrounded by such good people who all have their own unique way of helping us. I am always impressed with people who I like to call “real.” “Real” people are those that may not do everything the traditional way, but have no pretenses - no false fronts. I feel very comfortable around these people who are open, honest, and humble.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment