Unfortunately, it’s been far too long since I last wrote. Baily is out of school for the summer. She and Bethy are about to finish swim lessons at the Nampa Rec Center - from what I hear, they are both doing really well. The only major concern there is that Amy has to take all four kids to the Rec Center by herself and it doesn’t always go as smooth as she’d like. Bethy has no fear of anything dangerous (including knives, heights, and water) and oblivious to rules, her clone sister Lily just a step behind her, and Grant who likes letting everyone know he’s not happy sitting next to the pool while his sisters play – it can be pretty lively. Amy’s really looking forward to it being done.
The last few months, our family has made a concerted effort to be more active. For mother’s day this year, I gave Amy (and I guess the whole family) a trailer that goes behind my bike and can carry Grant and Lily. Bethy got a new bike for her birthday and Baily is now a pro at no-training-wheels riding. We have really enjoyed going on bike-rides as a family and sometimes joining up with the Dittrichs for a ride (they also have a bike trailer). I started riding my bike to work a couple of times a week about 2 ½ months ago, but unfortunately that didn’t last long because I got a sinus infection and a terrible cough and after 2 months of terrible coughing and two visits to the doctor, I’m finally starting to feel better. However, sickness hasn’t kept Amy from dragging me out of bed at 6:00 a.m. to exercise. We decided we’d try to motivate each other to get up and do some work out videos, although, Amy has mostly been the motivator. I never thought I could do work out videos because I was embarrassed that they’re mainly designed for women. I now have a new respect for them – I’m not going to say any more about it!
A little over a month ago, we went to Eastern Idaho to go to the Bryan’s church meetings. Josh spoke in sacrament meeting since he would be leaving on his mission to the Caribbean Islands. In some ways, I felt like Josh was my younger brother and I was so happy he made the decision to go (especially with so many of his friends not going and since he is a little older than the typical age). It was so good to see everyone (we had quite a few people turn up from the Bryan side). Josh bore a sincere humble testimony and I was so pleased with his commitment. On Saturday night we went out and rode in Uncle Mikes sand rail at the St. Anthony sand dunes. We all had a great time. I also loved being with Grandma and Grandpa Rasmussen. We stayed at their house and I loved just talking with them and having the girls be around them. They are such great people.
A couple weeks later, we went down to Utah to visit Ammon and Liz for the Memorial Day weekend (Kid’s Day). We had a great visit with them and just were able to relax and talk. Monday morning, Dad, Mom, Dawn, Ray, and Travis and Erin’s family came and we had our traditional trip to the super market for cereal. We played games all morning and just enjoyed being together. Amy and I have felt, once again, how blessed we are in the relationships we have with family and friends. I personally feel so thankful to have such a close relationship with my brother and his wife. And even though our family is mostly a good distance away, the Lord has really blessed us with such wonderful friends up here as well. Elder Eyering once said in a missionary broadcast that our true friends are those that in conversation with them the gospel is brought up naturally. While Amy and I don’t have a big group of friends, we have been blessed with a few “true friends,” including several members of our family. I am so grateful for that.
Life at home has been a little dramatic. It almost seems like the kids are battling for attention again. I thought that need for so much attention would diminish after they got used to Grant being around, but maybe the addition makes them feel like they have to compete more. I sure do have a lot to learn about being a father – unfortunately, I have to practice on “live” kids. How does God do it with all the children he has!? I’ve been a little frustrated with the way my family behaves at church, so we’ve been doing a “5 minute sit” every night for the past week and a half. The entire family has to sit on the couch for five minutes without wiggling, talking, or even touching each other. The girls actually have done really well in the practice runs (okay, except for Lily who screams the entire time as I hold her) However, despite their good behavior in practice they put on a major dramatic performance during sacrament meeting on Sunday. Several times, Amy and I were both outside of the church with the two youngest screamers, while praying that our two oldest would not be climbing on to the chapel podium squealing into the microphone when we returned. We finally had to strap Lily into her car seat while Amy held the baby next to her so I could return to check on the other two. I’m going to give the “5 minute sit” a little more time to show results before I start rethinking a strategy.
A couple days ago I learned from Dawn that Ray got his clearance to be sealed to her in the temple. They will be sealed in the Manti Temple on August 15, 2008. I am so pleased for her. The Lord has truly blessed our family.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Hey Bro,
If we come to visit you, do we have to do the five minute sit?
If you could let us know before July 14th that would be great! -its the wiggling part Im worried about..
Hey, it's good to hear you guys are still kicking.... (: ha ha!
I wish we had a trailer for our bikes. We were just talking about how fun that would be to get one. How do you do it with a baby though?
Can't wait to see you soon!
You came to Utah and I didn't get a visit! I realize old old old old old friends are low priority but I'm on the way! I-15 is in my backyard. At least call me next time so I can wave to you as you pass me by!
Thanks for the update on your family. The kids are adorable and Amy is beautiful as ever. You're an inspiration! I miss you Ames :)
It's fun to read your blog (I found posted from the Jewkes site). I think you and Amy are both great parents! and a good example to me and Joe. I have some pictures posted on my blog of the sand dunes if you're interested in seeing them (my blog address is www.thebryanlife.blogspot.com) and the title of the blog is St. Anthony Sand Dunes posted in June, I think.
Sarah
Post a Comment