Well, the migraine saga continues... However, we think we may have stumbled across a possible solution. Amy has had a migraine almost every day this past week. She's gone off of chocolate and almost all sugar, thinking these might be triggers. Sunday she asked me to check her blood sugar and it was 48!!! Well, we knew then that something was wrong. She went in to the doctor first thing Monday morning and we'll find out results from all the tests they did by Friday. In the meantime though, her doctor suspects she has hypoglycemia and that when she is pregnant, a lot of the food just goes to the baby and she doesn't get what she needs. The migraines may actually be insulin reactions (now that I think about it, it all fits so well). The headaches afterward could be the same headaches I get after rebounding from a very low blood sugar.
Amy's doctor told her to go on protein drinks. Yep, the ones body builders take to gain muscle weight. Supposedly the protein helps balance out highs and lows. Amy went to a store to buy it and the young man at the store with a puzzled expression asked her, "you want to gain weight?" while glancing down at her bulging belly. Probably wasn't the smartest thing to say and do, but I'm sure it was a confusing situation for him. After being reassured several times that the doctor had asked her to take it, he handed over a big container of "chocolate milk" flavored drink mix. Amy says it's not anything close to tasting like chocolate milk or anything else that tastes good. I'll have to try and get a picture of her trying to choke down the thick brown stuff.
On a lighter note, yesterday was a holiday for me because of Veterans day falling on Sunday this year. One of the few perks of being a state employee is that you get a few additional holidays off that not everyone else gets. I took care of the girls in the morning while Amy was at the doctor and when the youngest two went down for a nap, Amy and I played UNO with Baily. It was really fun to see she is now actually able to play games with us. I hate to say it, but Baily is so much more fun when the other kids aren't around. I think she needs a lot of attention and its hard for her when the other two compete for that attention. I think I need to separate her from everyone else more often and just the two of us go on walks and talk like Dad used to do for me. I sure enjoyed and needed those times and I'm sure she does too.
We basically didn't do much the rest of the day but read books, make dinner and enjoy each other. For FHE we had the girls bare their testimonies, we reviewed a conference talk, and played "button button who's got the button." The girls loved learning a new game and Bethy wanted to be "it" all the time. Only problem was, every time she put the button in someone’s hand she separated her own hands, put them to her sides, looked directly at the person she'd given the button too, and with a big grin would giggle, "button, button, who's got da' button." We laughed and laughed and we all had a great time.
Finally, I just want to mention that we went to Angie and Gary's on Sunday evening after all my meetings. We had a wonderful meal and then after Gary's parents arrived from Utah at about 9:30p.m. we went to the church where he was ordained to the office of a high priest by his father. Then, the first counselor in his stake presidency set him apart to be a high counselor. It was a wonderful experience and I'm sure Gary will give this calling his very best, just as he does for so many other things. He's a busy man, but he's worthy and capable. In our Stake Leadership training for stake conference, this past weekend, our stake presidency spoke about the importance of revelation. I got the feeling that it doesn't matter your past experiences or what positions you've held, what matters, in any calling, grand or humble, is whether you are able to receive revelation. I'm sure Gary will do a wonderful job as he seeks the spirit. I pray daily that I can be worthy and able to be guided by the Holy Ghost in my own responsibilities. We live in a terrible, yet also wonderful day, and the Holy Ghost can certainly be a needed and wonderful companion!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I am glad to hear that you guys have somewhat of an answer about Amy. Hope all goes well tomorrow at the doctors. We I use to drink protein shake I would usually replace the water with milk and add a little ice and blend it up like a MILK shake I think it really cut down on the bitterness. Sometimes I would even put alittle yogurt and maybe some fruit the next day. We are really looking forward to having you guys down next week. Let us know how things go on Friday.
Oh poor Amy! I'm so glad they are finding out what is the problem though. I hope she gets feeling better. We will sure pray for her and your family.
We miss you guys during this Thanksgiving time... ):
Post a Comment